My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Used to be a bundle of energy, now energy has been zapped, I think I'm an android now..but then again how can I write about emotions? *pause to ponder* I love to dance under the moonlight, I love to read poetry in spanish, I love to travel and I seem to love to be an emotional pitstop (in the words of a friend not mine), I love to bake and I beat up lots of eggs and butter in my time..relaxing, in the words of another friend, "Faridah is a baking dominatrix", I love learning about new cultures and languages..hence the ability to communicate in five languages. What does one do with an MBA? A bachelors degree and no idea what to do with the rest of my life. Argh. Here lies a lonely creature...

Friday, February 29, 2008

Old Delhi: Raj Ghat and Masjid-i-Jahan Numa

The Raj Ghat, a simple black marble platform that marks the spot of Mahatma Gandhi's cremation on 31 January 1948. It is left open to the sky while an eternal flame burns perpetually at one end. It is located on the banks of the river Yamuna. The memorial has the epitaph Hē Ram, ('O God'), which was believed to be Gandhi's last words. Raj Ghat was very serene and peaceful, made even more enchanting by the lush greenery and flowers that fill the landscape. We were in awe as we walked around the memorial. Apparently the next day after we visited the place, a woman who was with her boyfriend, was slapped by a police officer and was jailed. According to the news report the police officer felt that it was improper for her to be there with her boyfriend. Hmmm I know that it is a sacred place, but what was the wrong done here. If it was a muslim country, it'd be understandable, my friends and I were perplexed at what the problem was.






Masjid-i-Jahan Numa, is the main mosque of Old Delhi in India. It was commissioned by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and was completed in the year 1656 AD. It is one of the largest and best-known mosques in India. Masjid-i-Jahan Numa means "the mosque commanding a view of the world", and the name Jama Masjid is a reference to the weekly congregation on Fridays at the mosque. As we climbed up the stairs of the mosque, we viewed with wander this magnificent place of worship. In the massive courtyard, there was a huge pool, where I believed Muslims took their ablutions at. Looking up into the morning sky, there were birds flying around the minarets. We stopped by Chandi Chowk afterwards and looked for bangles of multi hues.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home